Light Street Presbyterian Church has served the spiritual and physical needs of Federal Hill residents since 1855. The congregation grew out of the first Sabbath School for South Baltimore’s children, organized by Presbyterians in 1853. More than one hundred children attended the Sabbath School, which met in Southern Hall, more popularly known as Armstrong’s Hall, located on the northeast corner of Light and Montgomery Streets. A year later, the construction of a church building began, with the laying of the cornerstone on November 24, 1854. The congregation was officially organized as the South Presbyterian Church on April 26, 1855. And the completed church building was dedicated on June 10, 1855, having a construction cost of $6,700. In November 1871, the congregation voted to change its name to Light Street Presbyterian Church. Stained glass windows were added to the building in 1891.
The church’s Adam-Stein pipe organ was built in 1902. It is a tracker organ, which means that all keyboard action is mechanically controlled, not electronically controlled as is common today. Of the twenty Adam-Stein organs of this type that were built, only six remain, of which our organ is one.
From its beginning, Light Street Presbyterian Church has focused its ministry outwards toward the community. The church’s pastors and members through the years have fostered a continuing emphasis on caring for others, feeding the hungry, housing the destitute, and giving hope to the hopeless – and that emphasis continues to this day.